The Parish of St Mary's once covered all of Barnsley town centre, but over the years sections have been split off to provide parishes for St George's, St John's, St Peter's and St Edward's. 
The area covered by St Mary's Parish at the beginning of the 20th century
The church was originally a chapel of ease to Silkstone, about four miles away, and parish records go back to 1568.  The present church dates from 1822, although the tower is older and various alterations were made to the building in the 19th century.  The War Memorial Chapel was created in 1919 with the actual memorial column dedicated in 1922

There are 201 names listed on six inscription panels on the large gothic war memorial column (background picture) in the chapel, and there are also windows and plaques dedicated to two individuals who lost their lives in the First World War, John Normansell and Dorothy Fox.  There is a large plaque dedicated to the men of the York and Lancaster Regiment who fell in WW1 and plaques giving details of the consecration and rededication of the chapel

The church also has a rare Boer War memorial.

The men from this parish are also remembered in a Lives of the First World War Community

Related Websites:
Barnsley War Memorials Project - main site
St Edward the Confessor Remembers
St George's Barnsley Remembers
Silkstone Remembers
Barnsley Soldiers Remembered - other stories contributed by relatives and our researchers
Wombwell Soldiers Remembered 

No comments:

Post a Comment